Wednesday, July 1, 2015

People at the gym, what sweat makes me feel and other things

Fact 1) I slept very late last night. 
Fact 2) I had an early morning meeting today.
Result: Skip going to the gym Go at a later time. Take a nap in the afternoon.

As directed by this chap yesterday I met the receptionist as soon as I entered and told her that it was my first day. She asked me to change and said she would introduce me to the trainer. I did as told but then she said that the trainer could take me through a routine only after the programmer had made out a workout card for me...and the programmer would only be available tomorrow ! Luckily since I had taken a trial, I had a little understanding of a couple of machines and the treadmill, stepper and bicycle. So I told her that I'd just do what I did the previous day. She seemed relieved and left me alone on the floor.

I hopped on to a treadmill. Suddenly a lady appeared at my side. She was the instructor. She asked me if it was my first day and when I replied in the positive, she asked me if they did my body analysis and whether the Nutritionist met me. The answer was 'No' for both questions. She asked me to get that done first. She popped into the Reception for a minute and told them to do it. As I came into the Reception she pointed out the Nutritionist to me. She was right there when I walked in and asked about what needs to be done before I begin the workout and she didn't tell me ! When S, the instructor, went back to the floor, the Receptionist and the Nutritionist looked at each other and rolled their eyes. Then the Nutritionist took me to her office, did the body analysis and gave me broad guidelines about healthy eating. (I am 20 kilos overweight, by the way, just like I felt.)

Finally I went to the floor. S asked me a bit about my past (non-existent) exercise pattern and then seemed relieved that I am at least in the habit of walking. Then she guided me through cardio, abs and stretched at the end of the workout. She seems tough. I like that . It'll help me. Also, I detected a whiff of condescension towards people (like me) who aren't in the habit of exercising. Nonetheless, she's helpful and pushy which works just well for me.

At the end of the workout I was looking for S to show me the stretches when another girl asked me where S was. We got talking and discovered we had a lot in common including today being our first day at the gym, we went to the same school etc. She's 20 years younger than me, I suspect. Yet the conversation flowed. I made a new acquaintance on the first day ! Good fun eh ?

When I returned, I texted my friend that I had gone today and that I liked S even though I think she is a little sharp. We were texting back and forth when he wrote that he loved sweat ! So I wrote back that though I didn't like sweat at all, I did love what it made me feel...I felt really good...and I know it seems a bit foolish but while sweating I kept feeling 'Wow ! See all those calories melt away' :D

Today after I was done, I happened to see T. He is the instructor who took me through my trial day yesterday. He smiled and waved at me and I did the same. Later he asked me about what I did today and I told him. Its a small gesture but it felt nice.

I know that my target is a hard one and I'll have to consistently exercise to achieve it. But today, I'm feeling positive that I will achieve it.

My body is going to ache tonight. Especially my abdominal muscles. But I will go to the gym tomorrow nevertheless.

No comments: